Vacations To Go

Barb's Great Adventure

Day 1 Saturday June 16th  
6:10 a.m. Depart: Spokane  
  Do: SW Flight 3471  
8:15 a.m. Arrive: Oakland  
11:10 a.m. Depart: Oakland  
  Do: SW Flight 5480  
7:25 p.m. Arrive: Orlando  
3:00 p.m. Do: Budget Rental Car $217.68
Orlando Intl Airport
1 Jeff Fuqua Blvd, Term A &B
Orlando, FL 32827, US
Ph: 407-825-1700
24 Hours
Costco Travel Confirmation Number C339566593
Budget Confirmation Number 20665360US2
Standard Car-Suburu Legacy, AC, Unlimited Mileage, Extra driver free
    (Go south out of the airport. Turn right/west onto Toll Rd 417. Take exit 6 right. Go left on Hwy 535. Stop at Walmart on the right.)  
  Do: Walmart for Groceries  
    (Go right on Poinciana Blvd. Cross US 192. After Cookie Ln go left on Siesta Lago Dr. Turn right on Sweetwater Club Clr. It will go left and circle around. Last one on the right.)  
32 minutes Lodge: 2476 Sweetwater Club Circle, Unit 105
Kissimmee, FL 34746
Property #3539867 $719.43
Reservation HA-XGPVK
June 16-23, 7 nights
3 adults, 1 child
(610) 564-2080


Day 2 Sunday June 17th  
    (Go back out on Sweetwater Club Cir. Turn left on Siesta Lago Dr.Turn right on Poinciana Blvd. Go left on Hwy 192/Irlo Bronson Memorial Hwy. Follow signs or turn right on World Dr. Follow signs.)  
30 minutes See:
WDW-Magic Kingdom
    (Go back out on World Dr. Go left on Irlo Bronson Memorial Hwy 192. Go right on Poinciana Blvd. Go left on Siesta Lago Dr. Turn right on Sweetwater Club Cir.)  
  Lodge: 2476 Sweetwater Club Circle, Unit 105
Kissimmee, FL 34746


Day 3 Monday June 18th  
  See: WDW-Animal Kingdom  
  Lodge: 2476 Sweetwater Club Circle, Unit 105
Kissimmee, FL 34746


Day 4 Tuesday June 19th  
  See: WDW-MGM Studios or Magic Kingdom  
  Lodge: 2476 Sweetwater Club Circle, Unit 105
Kissimmee, FL 34746


Day 5 Wednesday June 20th  
    (Go back out on Sweetwater Club Cir. Turn right on Siesta Lago Dr. Go left on Irlo Bronson Hwy 192. At the junction go right on Hwy 535. Go right on I-4. Take exit 75A. Follow signs.)  
  See: Universal Studios
6000 Universal Boulevard 
Orlando, FL 32819
GPS Geocode For Directions To The Parking Garage

Latitude: 28.47399 
Longitude: -81.46228
    (Go back to I-4 going west or south. Take exit 68 left on Hwy 535. Go through Hwy 417. Go right on Poinciana Blvd. Cross Hwy 192. Turn left on Siesta Lago Dr. Go right on Saltwater Club Cir.)  
  Lodge: 2476 Sweetwater Club Circle, Unit 105
Kissimmee, FL 34746


Day 6 Thursday June 21st  
    (Go back out on Sweetwater Club Cir. Turn right on Siesta Lago Dr. Go left on Irlo Bronson Hwy 192. At the junction go right on Hwy 535. Go right on I-4. Go right on I-4. Take exit 75A. Follow signs.)  
30 minutes See:
Islands of Adventure
    (Go back to I-4 going west or south. Take exit 68 left on Hwy 535. Go through Hwy 417. Go right on Poinciana Blvd. Cross Hwy 192. Turn left on Siesta Lago Dr. Go right on Saltwater Club Cir.)  
  Lodge: 2476 Sweetwater Club Circle, Unit 105
Kissimmee, FL 34746


Day 7 Friday June 22nd  
7:45 a.m. Depart: Hotel  
    (Turn right on Siesta Lago Dr. Go left on US Hwy 192. Continue onto Hwy 535. Go right into I-4/Hwy 400. Take exit 74A right onto Sand Lake Rd. Take the 2nd right on Universal Blvd. Turn right on Via Mercado. Turn right on International Blvd.)  
8:15 a.m. Arrive: 8401 International Drive
The shuttle pick up is outside the parking deck near the back entrance of the Coca-Cola Orlando Eye on the Universal Boulevard side of the property.
Katie & Beau:      
8:30 a.m. Do: Drop-off for shuttle $5
8401 International Dr
  See: Legoland (10-6) $79.99/$74.99 (3-12)  
6:30 p.m. Do: Pick-up at shuttle  
Tim & Barb:      
8:15 a.m. Depart: Orlando  
    (Take Hwy 429. Take exit 22. Enter Florida Turnpike going north (toll road). Enter I-75. Take exit 341. Turn right on Country Hwy 484. Take first right on SW 17th Ct. Right side.)  
9:30 a.m. Arrive: Ocala  
  See; Don Garlits Museum of Drag Racing (9-5, Antiques 10-4) $20
13700 SW 16th Ave, Ocala, FL 34473
    Lunch nearby: Taco Bell, Sonny's BBQ, Zaxby's Chicken Fingers and Buffalo Wings
Other side of the Freeway: DQ, Subway, Waffle House, McD's, Popeye's Kitchen
12:00 a.m. Depart: Ocala  
    (Go back to County Hwy 484. Turn left, then right onto I-75. Take exit 358 right on Hwy 326. Turn left on 77th. Take a left on Hwy 441/301. At the junction continue right on Hwy 301. Go right on Springs St/Hwy 318. At Hwy 315 go left. Go right on Hwy 310. When it ends, go left on Hwy 19. Turn right on Hwy 20. It will become Crill Ave. Go left on 9th. Turn right on Reid/Hwy 17. It will become Hwy 20/100. Go left on Hwy 207. Go right on Hwy 312. Turn left on A1A and continue to Red Cox Road. Turn right on Red Cox Road by the fire station and Hamilton Upchurch Skate Park and follow until you see our parking lot on the left just past the soccer fields.)  
2 p.m. Arrive: St. Augustine 101
St Augustine Lighthouse and Maritime Museum
81 Lighthouse Ave
Behind the Scenes Tour: Step back in time on a guided tour of Lighthouse history, wooden boatbuilding and shipwreck archaeology! Available 11:00 a.m., 12:00 p.m., 1:00 p.m., 2:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m., seven days a week!
Lighthouse Paranormal Tour- Dark of the Moon Tour $25 (Fri-Sun only) (Check times later.)
All ghosts no gimmicks. During the l.5-2 hr tour guides share paranormal history and experiences of people who visited, lived or worked at the lighthouse. Then you are given time to investigate on your own, with only a glowstick lighting your way. It is on the only tour that gets you in the lighthouse and Keeper's House at night.
"Copy discount coupon online"
  Depart: St. Augustine  
6:00 p.m. Arrive: Orlando  
  Do: Pick-up Katie and Beau
8401 International Blvd
  Lodge: 2476 Sweetwater Club Circle, Unit 105
Kissimmee, FL 34746


Day 7 Saturday June 23rd  
7:00 a.m. Depart: Hotel  
    (Go back to I-75 and go left/south. Take exit 328 onto the Florida Turnpike. (Toll Road). Take exit 254. Go east on Hwy 528. Take exit 11 into the airport.)  
7:30 a.m. Arrive: Airport 22
  Do: Drop-off Katie  
Katie & Beau:      
9:45 a.m. Depart: Orlando  
  Do: SW Flight 4133  
11:15 a.m. Arrive: Dallas, TX  
12:00 p.m. Depart: Dallas  
  Do: SW Flight 5384  
3:00 p.m. Arrive: Spokane  
Tim & Barb:      
7:45 a.m. Do: Return rental car  
11:15 a.m. Depart: Orlando  
    Delta Flight 995  
2:14 p.m. Arrive: Boston  
  Do: Rent a car  
    (Go right/north on I-90. It will become 1A. At the roundabout go right on VFW Pkwy. Go through the next roundabout on North Shore Rd. Go right on Revere St. Go left on Revere Beach Blvd. Many restaurants across the street from the beach, but may not have lobster.)  
    Revere Beach  
    (Continue right/north on Revere Beach Blvd. Enter Hwy 1A/N Shore Rd. After Carroll Parkway Park the road will go right on Lynnway/1A. On the right side.)  
  Do: Porthole Restaurant-Lobster  
    (Go right on Lynnway/1A. At the roundabout take the 2nd right/north on Lynn Shore Dr. Turn left on Wave St. Go right on Ocean St. Go left on Atlantic St. It will become Chestnut St. It will enter Broadway. It will become Lynnfield St/Hwy 129. At a large roundabout continue through on the 2nd right. Enter Hwy 1/Newbury St. Go right around on Centre St. Turn right on Amory. Go left on Dayton.)  
25 minutes Arrive: Danvers 10
Best Western Plus North Shore Hotel $753.98
50 Dayton St.
Danvers, MA 01923
(978) 777-1700
(2 queens, breakfast)


Day 8 Sunday June 24th  
1:05 p.m. Do:
Fenway Park Game Boston
Right Field, Box 2, Row H, Seats 11, 12, 13
    (Go right on Lansdowne St. Jog left on Ipswich St. Turn left on Boylston St. Turn left Charles St, after Boston Public Garden. Turn left on Beacon.)  
Dinner: Cheers Bar

84 Beacon Street
Reservations (617) 227-9605
  Lodge: Best Western Plus North Shore Hotel
50 Dayton St.
Danvers, MA 01923
(978) 777-1700


Day 9 Monday June 25th  
  See: Boston  
Freedom Trail-Paul Revere's House, Old North Church , Copp's Hill Burying Ground (graves from 1659), Battle of Bunker Hill, or USS Constitution
Granary Burying Ground
The graves of three signers of the Declaration of Independence: Samuel Adams, John Hancock, and Robert Treat Paine; Peter Faneuil, benefactor of the famed downtown Boston landmark; patriot and craftsman Paul Revere; James Otis, Revolutionary orator and lawyer; and five victims of the Boston Massacre. Near the center of the ground, a 25-foot-tall obelisk commemorates the tomb of Benjamin Franklin's parents.
    Old South Meeting Hall (9:30-5) $6
On December 16, 1773, as many as 5,000 colonists packed this building to resist a shipment of taxed tea. After hours of negotiations, the people failed to come to a resolution with the royal government. A signal must have been given soon after, for some 150 men with soot on their faces and varying interpretations of American Indian dress stormed out of buildings nearby and made their way to the tea ships at Griffin's Wharf. After hours of work, the men destroyed 342 chests of the imported tea. This resistance would be seen as treason by the British Crown, and the punishments would bring war closer than ever.
Old State House
(9-6) $10
On a cold March night in 1770, a beleaguered squadron of British soldiers opened fire in front of this royal building, killing five and wounding many others. By the next morning, leaders called the event a "bloody massacre." Six years later, shots were heard again in the square. But this time it was in celebration. On July 18, 1776, Bostonians gathered under the balcony of Old State to hear for the first time the Declaration of Independence.
Faneuil Hall (9-6) Free
For 275 years, Faneuil Hall remains a site of meetings, protests, and debate right up to this very day. Because Revolutionary-era meetings and protests took place so frequently at the hall, successive generations continued to gather at the Hall in their own struggles over the meaning and legacy of American liberty. Abolitionists, women's suffragists, and labor unionists name just the largest of groups who have held protests, meetings, and debates at Faneuil Hall.
Ranger talks and visitor center
Paul Revere's House
(9:30-5:15) $5
n the evening of April 18, 1775 Boston artisan and Patriot Paul Revere set out from his home in North Square to warn Samuel Adams and John Hancock of their potential arrest by a detachment of British Soldiers. There were countless riders that night spreading the general alarm, but following the publication of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow’s "The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere" in 1860 Paul Revere became an American legend. Because this was the home of the famous "Midnight Rider" and silversmith, early preservationists raised money to purchase and preserve the home as a historic site. Though the Revere family only lived in the house for about ten years, they lived there during the Revolution—the most transformative and uncertain era of their generation.
The house is accessible on the first floor via the courtyard ramps. The second floor is accessed by taking the elevator in the visitor center and then connecting to the house via the walkway.
Old North Church
(9-6) Donation
On the evening of April 18, 1775 Robert Newman and John Pulling quietly entered Old North and carefully climbed to the top of the church's bell tower. They briefly hung two lanterns near the windows and made their escape. This signal, from the tallest structure in the town of Boston, served as an early warning that a detachment of the British Army was crossing the Charles River and heading west towards the towns of Lexington and Concord. By the end of the next night, the American Revolutionary War had begun.
Copps Burying Ground
Some notables buried in Copp's Hill are fire-and-brimstone preachers Cotton and Increase Mather, two Puritan ministers closely associated with the Salem witch trials. The burying ground also holds Old North Church sexton Robert Newman, the man who hung the lanterns on the night of Paul Revere’s midnight ride and Edmund Hartt, builder of the USS Constitution. Countless free African-Americans are buried in a potter's field on the Charter Street side of the site. Because of its height and panoramic vistas, the British used this vantage point to train their cannons on Charlestown during the Battle of Bunker Hill in 1775. The epitaph on Captain Daniel Malcolm's tombstone at Copp's Hill is riddled with the marks of vengeful British bullets.
Dinner: Green Dragon Tavern
(11-2 a.m.)
11 Marshall St.
Salads, burgers, sandwiches, fish and chips, bangers and mash, steak, seafood
Has a long and rich history, playing an important part in the freedom of Boston during the War of Independence. Established in 1654, The Green Dragon was a favourite haunt of Paul Revere (whom we considered a close neighbour) and John Hancock (whose brother lived next door!). It has been ratified by Daniel Webster – the famous historian, that it was indeed in the Green Dragon that the plans for the invasion of Lexington and Concord were overheard thus starting the famous ride of Paul Revere.
    Ghost and Gravestones Frightseeing Tour (7, 8 or 9, 1.5 hrs) $35.91 online
In a city nearly four hundred years old - troubled with war, murderers, strife and the occasional bout of stray molasses, it is hardly any wonder that Boston remains one of the most haunted cities in America and stories of the glory days of Colonial Bosston only scratch the surface of Boston’s darker side.

Walk amongst the dead in burying grounds nearly four hundred years old, hear stories of those whose mortal remains lie beneath your feet, and listen to tales of many of the sordid practices that went along with them. Venture to the site of the biggest grave-robbing scandal in New England’s history. And ask yourselves - are you afraid of being buried alive? Walk atop Boston’s largest unmarked burying ground and hear tales of the tortures, punishments and executions that took place there. You may even find yourselves involved in some…

Boston has found itself plagued with some of history’s most nefarious figures – The Boston Strangler, Jolly Jane, Dr. John Webster, Cotton Mather, amongst a slew of other assorted characters.

The city proper is not the only source of stories here. Boston Harbor played a pivotal role in the formation and daily life – and death – of Boston citizens. With drowning being an occupational hazard of a sailor’s life, the Harbor is home to many a dark tale of death in freezing waters.Explore some of Boston's most haunted sites...
See Boston’s most haunted hotel: The Omni Parker House. As you pass by, you’ll hear stories of the hotel’s more bizarre and permanent tenants. Hear the gruesome saga of the Boston Strangler, and see where his final victim breathed her last.

Join us as we explore Boston’s most chilling murder sites, haunted places and spend time with the dead as your tour includes exclusive nighttime access into two of Boston’s oldest burying grounds. But you won’t be traveling alone.

Ghosts & Gravestones is not like any tour you’ve taken before! We’ve been thrilling our audiences for more than a decade and all of us are waiting for you to be next.King’s Chapel Burying Ground
Leave your preconceived notions of Boston’s past behind and venture off the map with us as we enter King's Chapel Burying Ground!

The oldest burying ground within the confines of downtown Boston; this is the final resting place of many of Boston’s first inhabitants. Here you may peer inside a decrepit charnel house which contains the jumbled bones of hundreds of forgotten souls and learn of Ephraim Littlefield and his shocking black-market body trading scandal of the Victorian era. Or perhaps you will hear the tale of King’s Chapel’s Strangers Tomb and the ghost who haunts it.

* Please note: each tour will visit 2 of the following 3 burying grounds: Copp's Hill Burying Ground, The Granary Burying Ground and King's Chapel Burying Ground.

  Lodge: Best Western Plus North Shore Hotel
50 Dayton St.
Danvers, MA 01923
(978) 777-1700


Day 10 Tuesday June 26th  
  Do: Free Day  

Bunker Hill Monument (9-5)
Climb it for Free
On June 17, 1775, New England soldiers faced the British army for the first time in a pitched battle. Popularly known as "The Battle of Bunker Hill," bloody fighting took place throughout a hilly landscape of fenced pastures that were situated across the Charles River from Boston. Though the British forces claimed the field, the casualties inflicted by the Provincial solders from Massachusetts, Connecticut, and New Hampshire were staggering. Of the some 2,400 British Soldiers and Marines engaged, some 1,000 were wounded or killed.

    Boston National Historical Park- Free
USS Constitution 2:30-6
  Lodge: Best Western Plus North Shore Hotel
50 Dayton St.
Danvers, MA 01923
(978) 777-1700



Day 11 Wednesday June 27th  
9:30 a.m. Depart: Danvers  
    (Enter I-95 going right/south. Take exit 45 right, then left on Yankee Division Hwy. Take the second exit 25A right on Hwy 114. Go left on Pulaski/Endicott St. Take the first right on Gardner. Take the 3rd right on Margin St. Just past the North River on the right side.)  
15 minutes Arrive: Salem 7
The Witch House (10-5) $10.25 guided/$8.25 self guided
310 Essex Street
Buy tickets at the museum gift shop.
In 1675, Jonathan Corwin, heir to one of the largest Puritan fortunes in New  England, purchased this 
large and stately house.  Seventeen years later,Corwin and his family would take part in the most 
famous Witch Hunt in American History. Tours of the Corwin House, now known as the Witch House, connect elements of everyday life with the events punctuating history's timelines.  
    (Go forward/east on Essex. Take the 3rd left on Washington. Take the first right on Church St. Take the 4th left on Howard St. On the left side.)  
    Howard Street Cemetery (Dusk to dawn)
29 Howard St
One of three cemeteries significant to the 1692 Witch Trials, the Howard Street Cemetery is said to be where Giles Corey was taken to be pressed to death, a torture chosen because he refused to stand trial.
    (Continue left on Howard to the corner. Turn right on Bridget St. At the 4th block turn right on Winter St. After 3 blocks turn right on Washington Sq. At the end of the commons area.)  
    Salem Witch Museum $12 (10-5)
19 l/2 N Washington Square
The Salem Witch Museum examines one of the most enduring and emotional events in American History...the Witch Trials of 1692. The main presentation is based on actual trial documents. Visitors experience the drama of that dark time though thirteen life-size stage sets, figures, lighting and a stirring narration as they are witness to the web of lies and intrigue of the Salem Witch Hunt.

In our second exhibit, Witches: Evolving Perceptions, live guides take you through changing interpretations of witches, the truth behind the stereotypes, witchcraft practice today and the frightening phenomenon of witch hunting.

    (Continue south/left on Washington Sq. Take the 2nd left on Essex. Turn right on Hawthorne. On the right side.)  
    Nathanial Hawthorne Statue  
    (Continue on Hawthorne. Jog right on Charter and an immediate left to continue on Hawthorne. Take the first left on Derby. About 3 blocks you will see Salem Maritme National Historic Site. The dock is on the right side.)  
    Salem Maritime National Historic Site
160 Derby St.
Salem Historic Wharf with Derby Wharf Light Station

Hatch’s Wharf, the shortest wharf, was built in 1819, and Central Wharf was built in 1791 by Simon Forrester. The lighthouse was built in 1871.
    (Continue on Derby. In 4 blocks turn right on Turner St. On the right side.)  
House of Seven Gables (10-5, 35-40 minute tour) $15
115 Derby Street
Gift Shop
In 1668, merchant and ship-owner John Turner built a house on Salem Harbor that was destined to become one of America’s most beloved historic homes. Designated a National Historic Landmark District in 2007.

Hawthorne was born at 27 Union Street (later moved to the House of Seven Gables complex) complex). Four years later, after his father's death on a voyage to South America, Nathaniel moved next door to 10 Herbert Street where he lived with his mother and two sisters and his mother's family intermittently until 1845. Hawthorne wryly referred to the house as "Castle Dismal", but it was here that he began his literary career in the decade after his graduation from Bowdoin College in 1825.

During that decade, Nathaniel often visited his cousin, Susannah Ingersoll, at her now-famous waterfront home on Turner Street. Susannah's description of the house's appearance in earlier days gave Hawthorne the title for his famous novel, The House of the Seven Gables.

A secret room was found in the last 20 years.

    (Walk back up Turner and left left on Derby St.)  
    Ye Olde Pepper Company (11-5)
122 Derby Street

The candy store began in the early 1900's. George Burkinshaw purchased the George W Pepper Companie. George began working for this company as a boy sweeping the floors and other odd jobs. As he grew he worked his way up and began assisting with the candy making. For years he learned the art of confections. At that time the well-known “Salem Gibralter” and "Black Jacks" were the popular candy of the day.

Mary Spencer’s “Salem, Gibralters” date back to the early 1800’s where she peddled these candies from the steps of the First Church in Salem, MA. The Black Jack is credited to John Pepper as its creator. These two historic candies were the first candies to be sold commercially in America, they have a story all their own and they continue even today over 200 years later to be our flagship candy. George upon his purchase of the company also purchased the recipes for the Salem Gibralter and Black Jack. During the early 1900’s most of his business were those two candies and various hard candies he added. George ran the business with wife Alice; the couple met while working for the George W Pepper Companie. They had one child George Jr; he helped his father occasionally but was a soldier and was sent overseas to fight during WWII.

Upon the completion of the war George Jr. continued working for the Chelsea Naval Yard in Boston, MA. Although, he still helped his father make candy on the side. A family story that we believe probably is the reason our company still exists today is the following: George Sr. was sick and in the hospital, basically on his last days. He was so distraught; not over his current health situation but about his candies. He was convinced the Gibralter and Black Jack would die with him. In an effort to comfort his father George Jr went to the shop that night, he worked all night and made a batch of each of the candies. The next morning he brought a piece of each candy to his father, to prove to him that he could produce these candies. From that     point on George Jr. continued his father’s legacy.

By his side was his wife Myrtle who through the years would run the office, run the store and when needed help make the  candy. The couple had a son Robert and during this time the business would grow from hard candies into chocolates and fudges too. Unlike his father, Robert began working for the company as a small child and went directly into the business after graduating from college. In the past 30 years the companyhas grown to have 2 store locations, wholesale division and website store.
    (Continue west/right on Derby, if walking. Otherwise Derby is one way street in the other direction.)  
    Dinner etc: Right side-Mercy Tavern, Witch's Brew Cafe; Left side-Captain Dustys Ice Cream, Witch Way Gifts
    (Go around the block and back right/west on Derby. Go past Congress St.)  
    More Dinner: Scratch Kitchen (cheaper) , Beerworks Brewing Co., Bambolina (pizza)  
    (Turn around and go left/north on Congress St/Hawthorne Blvd. Go left on Essex. Go right on New Liberty St.)  
Spellbound Tour
$16 (Daily, 1.5 hrs, 8 p.m.)
2 New Liberty St.
Arrive 10-15 minutes early

On Spellbound Tours we visit only real, documented historic and haunted locations. Sites visited on the Spellbound Tours Voodoo, Vampires, and Ghosts Tour include:

The Salem Visitor Center

The Old Salem Jail, still haunted by the angry spirits of tortured prisoners!

The site of Salem’s most famous ghost’s demise, the field where Giles Corey was gruesomely pressed to death! Hope you do not see cursed Corey himself, the legend says when his ghost walks tragedy follows close behind!

The real location of the Witch Dungeon where the accused where held before their hanging!

The famous haunted Lyceum restaurant, located on the land where the first Witch Trials victim Bridget Bishop lived and her ghost still lingers, a site featured on Ghost Hunters!

Photo Opportunity with the Statue of Samantha from Bewitched!

The Joshua Ward House, the location where cruel Sheriff Corwin tortured his victims. Widely considered the most haunted home in the United States!

The Old Town Hall. This is where we introduce you to weird vampire folklore and the even more shocking modern vampire culture!

The Boston Strangler’s Salem Murder Site!

The Police Station where Harry Houdini performed his greatest escape!

The Old Burying Point Cemetery. The second oldest cemetery in the United States. Final resting place of Witch Trials Judge Hathorne, as well as a little girl who may have been buried alive! Extremely haunted. Many modern magic practitioners consider this cemetery a sacred place and use it’s graveyard dirt in rituals.

The tour concludes back at the Salem Visitor Center where we show you amazing photographs of real ghost energy and encourage you to submit yours to be examined.

  Depart: Salem  
    (Go right on New Liberty. Turn left at the corner onto Brown St. Take the 1st right on St Peter St. In a couple blocks turn left on Bridge St. It will go right into Hwy 114. The highway will go left on Gardner St, left again on Polaski St and right on Andover St. Cross over I-95. Take the first right on Newberry St. Circle around onto Centre St to the hotel.)  
17 minutes Arrive: Danvers 7
  Lodge: Best Western Plus North Shore Hotel
50 Dayton St.
Danvers, MA 01923
(978) 777-1700




Day 12 Thursday June 28th  
  Do: Finish Salem Sights  
1:00 p.m. Depart: Danvers  
    (Turn right on Armory Rd. Go left over the freeway on Centre St. At a junction go left on Holten. Turn right on Pine St. Take the first left on Adam St. At the junction go left on Ash St. It will become Purchase St. Turn right on High St. Go over the freeway and take the first left onto Yankee Division Hwy. At the Grant Cir roundabout take the take the first right on Washington St. Turn right on Centennial Ave. At the bay go left on Western Ave.)  
1:30 p.m. Arrive: Gloucester, MA 19
  See: Gloucester Fisherman's Memorial  
2:00 p.m. Depart: Gloucester  
    (Continue right/east on Western St. Jog right and left on Rogers St. It will become Main St. It will go right. Go south on Main Street for just over a mile, where the road will become Eastern Point Road. Continue on Eastern Point Road 0.3 miles to Eastern Point Boulevard. Follow Eastern Point Boulevard 1.6 miles to its end at a parking area near the lighthouse. You will see "Private Road" signs posted along the way, but access to the lighthouse is allowed. The lighthouse can also be viewed from the water on boats out of Gloucester.)  
2:15 p.m. See:
Eastern Point Lighthouse
3:30 p.m. Depart: Gloucester  
    (Go back on Eastern Point Blvd. It will become Eastern Point Rd, then Main St. At the end of the bay go left on Bay St. Take the 2nd right on Yankee Division Hwy. Go through the next two roundabouts continuing on the hwy. Take exit 22 right onto Hwy 62/Poplar St. Cross I-95/Maine Turnpike and go right on Hwy 1, then the first right onto I-95. Take exit 45. Go right on Main St. Go left on Pleasant Hill Rd. Go left on Highway 77 to Cape Elizabeth and then turn southeast on Two Lights Road. Follow Two Lights Road for 1.4 miles to Two Lights Terrace. Cape Elizabeth Lighthouse is located on a small rise at the end of Two Lights Terrace. The second tower is located roughly 300 yards west of this light.

Perhaps the best public spot for viewing the twin towers is at The Lobster Shack Restaurant, located at the end of Two Lights Road, next to the fog signal building.)

5:30 p.m. Arrive: Portland, ME 116
  Lodge: Best Western Merry Manor Inn $139.51
700 Main St.
South Portland, ME
(207) 774-6151
  Do: Dinner  


Day 13 Friday June 29th  

Cape Elizabeth Lighthouse
The dwelling is privately owned. The tower is owned by the Coast Guard but leased to the American Lighthouse Foundation. Grounds/dwelling/tower closed.

As you look out over Portland Harbor and Casco Bay you will have the opportunity to view an additional four lighthouse towers. To your left (North) is Spring Point Ledge Light – built in 1897 – a caisson style light station at the end of a rock breakwater. Directly in front of you is Ram Island Ledge light – constructed in 1905 – the beacon is now solar powered. During storms the waves have been seen to crash over the top of the lantern room. Beyond Ram Island, about 10 miles out and only visible on a clear day, is Halfway Rock light station first lit in 1871. The name comes from its’ position half way between Cape Elizabeth and Cape Small. Now look to your right (South) and you will be able to view Cape Elizabeth light. One of two towers originally built, the remaining operating tower was first lit in 1874.

In March 1827, Stephen Pleasanton, the Treasury official in charge of light stations, wrote to Isaac Ilsley, superintendent of Maine’s lighthouses, asking him to “make an examination, or cause it to be made” and to inform Pleasanton whether one or two lighthouses were necessary at Cape Elizabeth and what they would cost. Ilsley oversaw the building of two sixty-five-foot-tall, octagonal towers, following an appropriation of $3,000 in March 1827 and an additional $4,500 in February 1828. When Ilsley submitted the construction bill, the penny-pinching Pleasonton told Ilsley to strike his fees for overseeing the project.
The decision was made to use two lights, a fixed light in the east tower and a revolving light in the west one, so the station would not be confused with the lights at nearby Portland Head or Wood Island. Mason Jeremiah Berry built the twin lighthouses on twelve acres of land purchased for fifty dollars. The towers, spaced by 895 feet and topped by octagonal wrought-iron lanterns housing lamps and reflectors, first shone their lights in October 1828. Problems were noted only one year later when John Chandler, the local lighthouse superintendent, wrote to Pleasanton, “The Light Houses…were built so late in the season that the mortar froze, and whenever rain came, it ran amongst the stone and kept it continually wet.”
For economy and visibility, the station’s appearance changed several times, sometimes in color and sometimes by lighting only one light. In 1855, the west light was extinguished, and the east light fitted with an occulting third-order lens, but this change was abandoned after just eight months. In 1865, the west tower gained a big vertical red stripe and the east tower four horizontal red bands. The west light was discontinued in 1883, but again relit after complaints. Finally, in 1924, the government changed all twin light stations to single lights, and the west light permanently went dark.

A steam fog whistle was installed at Cape Elizabeth in 1869, and in 1875, a second-class siren, which had been constructed as an experiment, was added to the station after proving a success. A thirty-two-foot-square, brick fog signal building was erected adjacent to the nearby lifesaving station in 1886, and in 1888, its signals sounded 1,117 hours, using 71,500 pounds of coal. Both the whistle and siren were used at the station, until a second whistle replaced the siren in 1901. When the fog signal was changed to an air diaphone in 1929, an unsympathetic lighthouse superintendent, Capt. C. E. Sherman, told a sleepless man that the new signal shouldn’t be any more annoying than the old one once people got used to it. The Lighthouse Service did, however, install a silencer on the exhaust pipe for the oil engines that ran the plant as it was “very loud and extremely annoying to the residents in close proximity to the station.”

A $30,000 appropriation was made in 1873 for rebuilding the western tower, but this money proved sufficient to fund the erection of two matching sixty-seven-foot, brick-lined, cast-iron towers set 923 feet apart and featuring elegant Italianate details. A second-order revolving Fresnel lens remained in use in the west tower, while a new fixed first-order Fresnel lens replaced a fixed second-order lens in the east tower. These iron towers were originally painted brown.

In 1878, a new wood-frame, one-and-a-half-story dwelling was built for the principal keeper near the east tower, and the nearby old stone dwelling was repaired. At this time, Keeper Marcus Hanna and his wife Louise, the station’s third assistant keeper, lived in the new dwelling, while the second assistant keeper lived in the stone building, and the first assistant keeper lived in a frame dwelling near the west tower.

A frame dwelling replaced the old stone dwelling in 1890. After Keeper Hanna resigned in 1888, the station was staffed by four families instead of three, and the Lighthouse Board requested funds so a fourth dwelling could be built near the west tower. After requesting funds for a new dwelling for a decade, money was finally provided to enlarge the dwelling near the west tower in 1901 so it could accommodate the first and third assistants.

American painter Edward Hopper painted several views of Cape Elizabeth’s Two Lights in 1927 and 1929. His oil painting, The Lighthouse at Two Lights, became his best-known lighthouse painting after it was featured on a U.S. postage stamp in 1970 commemorating the sesquicentennial of Maine’s statehood.

In 1924, the east light was changed from a fixed white, incandescent oil vapor light to a group flashing white, electric incandescent light, and the light in the west tower was discontinued. To affect this change, a fixed, third-order lens formerly used at Matinicus Rock was installed in the west tower, while that tower’s second-order lens was sent to New York so it could be modified before being installed in the east tower. The rebuilt lens produced a group of six flashes followed by seventeen seconds of light in every thirty seconds.

In January 1934, sixty-five-year-old Keeper Joseph H. Upton went up the station’s tower about 9:30 p.m. to activate an auxiliary light in place of the main light that had failed. When Mrs. Upton awoke two hours later and couldn’t reach her husband by telephoning the tower, she began a search for him and discovered him unconscious with a fractured skull where he’d fallen at the base of the east tower. He was taken to a Portland hospital but passed away the next day from his injuries. Some claim that the ghost of an older man in a lighthouse uniform seen near the tower is Upton’s spirit.

During World War II, the west tower became an observation point after a cylindrical turret was installed atop the tower, which had had its lantern room removed after being discontinued. It was auctioned to the highest bidder in 1959. In 1971, actor Gary Merrill, ex-husband of Bette Davis, purchased the west tower for $28,000. Merrill sold it in 1983, and a new house was built next to it.

The 1878 keeper’s house adjacent to the east tower has been privately owned for several decades and was purchased by William Kourakos for around $450,000 in 1995 after the previous owner died. Amid some controversy in the 1999, that house was remodeled and enlarged making it markedly different from the dwelling immortalized in Hopper’s paintings. The east light was automated in 1963, and its 1,800-pound second-order Fresnel lens was removed and placed on display at the Cape Elizabeth Town Hall. In 2013, the Town of Cape Elizabeth gave up the lens when it needed to reconfigure its town hall. The lens was going to be returned to the Coast Guard, but the Maine Maritime Museum agreed to accept the lens so it could remain in Maine.

In 1997, the Coast Guard named its fourth Keeper Class coastal buoy tender Marcus Hanna, in honor of the celebrated keeper of the lights on Cape Elizabeth. The vessel was built in Marinette, Wisconsin but was appropriately homeported in South Portland.

    (Go back out on Two Light. At Shore Rd turn right. Go right on Preble St. Turn right on Broadway. Go left on Breakwater Dr. Take the 2nd right on Madison St, which will lead to Bug Light Park, from where you can walk the short breakwater to the light.)  
13 minutes See:
Bug Light (Portland Breakwater Light)
Bug Light Park, the eastern terminus of the Greenbelt Walkway, offers expansive views of Portland Harbor and the skyline of Maine’s  largest city. The 8.78 acre park was the site of major shipbuilding activity during WWII. An estimated 30,000 people were employed here from 1941-1945 building liberty ships for the New England Shipbuilding Corp. and the South Portland Shipbuilding Corp. Although far less bustling  today, Bug Light Park is a popular destination for picnicking, boating, kite flying and salt water fishing.  Rest rooms are available seasonally. A busy boat launching area (seasonal fees required) and a  liberty ship memorial are at opposite ends of the park. In between is a  paved walkway along the shore and out to Bug Light itself.  Seasonal events include a Kite Festival, Summer Movie Nights, a car show, and a day-long 4th of July celebration culminating with clear views of Portland's fireworks display across the harbor. The park is also available for private functions and events.
    (Go back out on Madison St. In a couple of blocks go left on Breakwater Dr. Take the first right on Broadway. Do Not enter Hwy 77, continue on Broadway when it goes left. Go left on Main St/Hwy 1. Across from the entrance to the Maine Turnpike Approach.)  
1:00 p.m. Depart: Portland  
6:20 p.m. Arrive: Springfield, M 329




Day 14 Saturday June 30th  
8:45 a.m. Depart: Springfield, NY  
9:00 a.m. Arrive: Cooperstown 13
Cooperstown Baseball Hall of Fame
(9-9) $23
    Abner Doubleday Field
In 1838, Elihu Phinney purchased an open plot of land in the center of Cooperstown from the Bealle family. Just two years after Phinney obtained the land, Abner Doubleday reportedly used Phinney’s field for the first baseball game. Elihu Phinney also purchased a residence on Pioneer Street with property that connected to the interior lot.
Before Doubleday Field was used as a baseball stadium and community gathering spot, several individuals and businesses used the space that is now the parking lot for their business and personal use. The Sanborn Fire Insurance Map from March 1887 shows that, in addition to a wood shed and ice house, there were stables managed by the Lettis family belonging to the Central Hotel. Between 1894 and 1903, a small building was constructed at the Main Street entrance of the parking lot property. This building housed Mogavero’s fruit stand as well as Noyes Lunch in 1906.
In the 1910s, with growing interest to establish Cooperstown (and Doubleday Field in particular) as the birthplace of baseball, money was raised to purchase the field from the Phinney family, and several baseball games were played on the unimproved land. Phinney later sold the land to the Cooperstown Chamber of Commerce for $5,000 in 1920.
4:00 p.m. Depart: Cooperstown  
    (From the museum turn right on Blodget Dr. Go left on Bugbee Rd. Turn right on East St. Jog right on Center and left again on Pine St. Jog right on Hwy 7 and take the first left on Hwy 23/James Letties Hwy. Right after the freeway turn right on Hwy 28. At the junction go right on Hwy 357. After Franklin go left on Hwy 21. It will become Hwy 23. At the edge of Walton go right on Townsend St. Go left on Delaware. Take an immediate right on Hwy 206/Bridge St. When it ends go left on Hwy 206. At Roscoe go right on Stewart Brook Rd. Go left on Gulf Rd/Hwy 124. Go left on Huber Rd. At Hwy 149 turn right. At Hwy 52 turn right in Youngsville. Turn left on Briscoe Rd. Turn right on Behr Rd. Go left on Jim Stephenson Rd. Go right on Hurd Rd. The monument is just past Shore Rd on the left.)  
5:45 p.m. Arrive: Bethel, NY 72
Woodstock Plaque

236 Hurd Rd.
Bethel, NY
    (Continue on Hurd Rd. Go left on Co Road 117. Just before Hwy 17 turn right on Raceway. Then right again on Jefferson St.)  
12 minutes Arrive: Monticello, NY 21
  Lodge: Inn at Monticello $77.80
392 Broadway
Monticello, NY 12701
(845) 796-0291
(2 Double beds)


Day 15 Sunday July 1st  
8:00 a.m. Depart: Monticello  
    (Go back to Hwy 17 and turn right. Cross I-84. Go through Goshen. It will become Hwy 6. At I-87 go right/west (Toll road). Take exit 15 right onto I-287. Take the first exit 66 left on Hwy 17. Enter I-80 express east. Turn right on I-95/New Jersey Turnpike (toll road). Take exit 14A left/east on I-78. Take exit 14B into Morris Pesin Dr. Follow it to the end and park.)  
9:45 a.m. Arrive: Jersey City 102
  Do: Liberty State Park-Statue of Liberty Picture
200 Morris Pesin Dr,
Jersey City, NJ 07305
    (Go back up Morris Pesin Dr. Just before the turnpike go left on Caven Pt. Rd. Swing left on Hidden Ave and right again on Caven Point Dr. It will become Hwy 440. Cross the river. Take exit 10E left onto I-278/Staten Island Expressway. Cross New York Harbor. Take exit 16 onto Belt Pkwy. Take exit 6 right onto Cropsey Ave. Go left on Surf Ave.)  
45 minutes Arrive: Brooklyn 22
Coney Island
    (Turn around and go back on Surf Ave. Go right on Stillwell. Cross the Belt Pkwy. Go left on Avenue Z. Turn right on W 17th. Go left on Bay 50th, then right into the Belt Pkwy. It will enter the Shore Pkwy/ Hwy 278. Take exit 23. Turn right on 38th. Go left on 5th. The main entrance is almost to the end of the cemetery.)  
24 minutes See: Green-Wood Cemetery (7-7)
500 25th St
Brooklyn, NY 11232
Trolley $20
560,000 permanent residents, including Leonard Bernstein, Boss Tweed, Charles Ebbets, Jean-Michel Basquiat, Louis Comfort Tiffany, Horace Greeley, Civil War generals, baseball legends, politicians, artists, entertainers and inventors.

Photography Rules:
We welcome and encourage you to take photos of Green-Wood. If you are posting them on Instagram, tag us with the hashtag #greenwoodcemetery or post to our Facebook page, The Green-Wood Cemetery, @historicgreenwood.

Professional photography (intended for publication or commercial use) is permitted only with the written consent of The Green-Wood Cemetery. The use of movie cameras, video and live models is strictly prohibited.

Please note that Green-Wood is an active and working cemetery. Please be respectful of funeral services and those visiting loved ones.

  Depart: Brooklyn  
    (Go right on 5th and take an immediate left on 24th. Go right on Hwy 278. Continue as it goes left across the river on the Hugh L Carey Tunnel (Toll Road). Go left, then right on West St. In about 6 blocks.)  
22 minutes   World Trade Center 4
    (Continue up West St. It will become 11th. Go right on 10th. Turn right on 38th. Turn left on 6th. Turn left on 45th. Manhatten Parking on the left. Walk left. Turn right on Broadway.)  
Time Square
M&M Store & Hersheys Chocolate World
-Go right to 48th
    (Go left on Broadway. It will become 7th. Walk down another 10 blocks on 7th. Turn left on 35th. Go a block and a half. On the left.)  
B&H Photo
420 9th Ave
1 hour free parking with $100 purchase, 2 hours for $300 purchase
  Lodge: The Hotel at New York City $227.26
161 Lexington
New York, NY
(2 Queens, Breakfast, $30 Parking)



Day 16 Monday July 2nd  
8:00 a.m. Depart: New York  
10:00 a.m. Arrive: Philadelphia, PA 97
Independence National Historical Park
Liberty Bell & Independence Hall
143 S. 3rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106
Admission to Independence Hall is by tour only. Timed entry tickets are required for Independence Hall tours from March through December. No tickets are required in January and February, after 5pm during summer hours, on July 4th, or on Thanksgiving Day. Free tickets are available on the morning of your visit at the Independence Visitor Center (first come, first served), or you may choose to reserve tickets in advance (service fee applies).
NO tickets are required for the Liberty Bell Center. Security screening is required to visit the Liberty Bell Center and the buildings on Independence Square. Tip: Maximize your visit to the park and minimize your screening time by bringing only small bags, if necessary.
Benjamin Franklin Museum
(9-5) $5
Dedicated to the life, times and legacy of Philadelphia’s famous founding father, the Benjamin Franklin Museum invites you to explore a variety of interactive exhibitions.

The world-class museum features personal artifacts, computer animations and hands-on displays exploring Franklin’s life as a private citizen and statesman.

Visitors can learn about the various roles Franklin filled during his lifetime, including his work as a printer, a scientist, a diplomat and a founder of civic institutions. Individual rooms in the museum reflect different aspects of Franklin’s personality and character traits, as he was known to be strategic, rebellious, curious and full of wonder.
Ghost House: Located in the courtyard outside the museum, the iconic “ghost house” is a standing steel structure designed by architects Robert Venturi and John Rauch with Denise Brown. The impressive framework traces the outlines of Franklin’s vanished house and print shop.
Admission is available at the door and must be purchased on the day of your visit. Plan to allow at least one hour for your visit. 

Betsy Ross House
(10-5) $5
239 Arch
The well-known and loved story of Betsy Ross sewing the first Stars & Stripes is tightly woven into the colorful fabric of America's rich history. The Betsy Ross House, the birthplace of the American flag, is alive with the sights and sounds of the 18th century. Tour the house and then stay a while longer to learn more about Betsy and her exciting life and times through our interactive, historical programming.
    Independence Seaport Museum
Exhibits of artifacts & documents detailing the region's maritime history, plus tours of 2 ships.



2:00 p.m. Arrive: Airport  
4:35 p.m. Depart: Philadelphia  
  Do: Confirmation HKAQZE, Delta Flight 2854  
7:35 p.m. Arrive: Salt Lake City  
8:27 p.m. Depart: Salt Lake City  
  Do: Delta Flight 704  
9:06 p.m. Arrive: Spokane  



Day 13 Friday June 29th  
9:00 a.m. Depart: Portland, Maine  
    (Go straight ahead on the Maine Turnpike Approach. Enter I-95 (Toll Road) going left. Take exit 30B. Turn right on Hwy 2A. Parking on the left.)  
10:40 a.m. Arrive: Concord 107
  See: Minute Man National Historic Park (Sunrise to Sunset)  
    (Continue on Hwy 2A/Great Rd through the park.)  
    Minute Man Visitor Center (9-5)
Rt 2A
(half miles off of Rt 128/195, exit 30B
Here you can see "The Road to Revolution", a multimedia theater program that provides an excellent introduction to the park story. The program depicts Paul Revere's Ride and the battles at Lexington Green, North Bridge and along the Battle Road. The visitor center exhibits include a forty-foot mural that portrays the fighting between Colonists and British Regulars. 
Hartwell Tavern (9:30-5:30)
136 North Great Road
is an authentic period home and a tangible reminder of how people lived in this area at the outbreak of the American Revolution. The home of Ephraim and Elizabeth Hartwell and their children was not only a prosperous farm, but also operated as a tavern where travelers to and from Boston stopped and shared the latest news and discussed important issues of the day. 
    (Continue east on Great Rd. At the junction go right on Lexington Rd. Past Edmonds Rd on the right.)  
The Wayside-Home of Authors $7 (10, 11, 1, 2, 3, 4:30)

The Wayside has been home to three literary families: the Alcotts, Hawthornes, and the Lothrops. The first literary site added to the National Park Service. The Wayside is the only National Historic Landmark to have been lived in by three literary families. Their home and works span more than three centuries:

  • The Alcotts, who owned the house from 1845-1852, called it "Hillside." Here Louisa May Alcott, author of Little Women, and her sisters lived much of the childhood described in the book.
  • Nathaniel Hawthorne, wrote The Scarlet Letter, House of the Seven Gables, Twice Told Tales, and other novels and publications. He and his family owned the house from 1852 through 1869 and called it "The Wayside."
  • Harriett Lothrop, children's author and creator of the "Five Little Peppers," (pen name Margaret Sidney) and her daughter, Margaret Lothrop, lived in and preserved The Wayside from 1883 to 1965, when it became part of Minute Man National Historical Park.

Built in the early 1700s, different families, many tradesmen and their families, lived in the house during it's first century. .On April 19, 1775, when fighting between colonists and British soldiers ignited the American Revolution, the house, located on the main road in Concord, witnessed the British troops marching in and out of town.At that time, the house was owned by Samuel Whitney, muster master of the Concord Minute Men.

During the 19th century, Nathaniel Hawthorne and Louisa May Alcott, along with their neighbors Ralph Waldo Emerson and Henry David Thoreau, and other authors such as Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Herman Melville, and others, began a literary tradition recognized as distinctly American. As part of the first generation to inherit the Revolution, these writers helped shape the new nation's cultural identity.

In their work and their personal lives, these writers grappled with the lasting significance of April 19, 1775 and some of the unresolved issues of the American Revolution, notably slavery. While in the house in the 1840s, the Alcott family aided at least one run-away slave on his flight to freedom.The Wayside is now a site on the National Underground Railroad Network to Freedom.
    Just down from The Wayside. Turn right on Alcott Rd.)  
Lousa May Alcott's Orchard House (10-5)
Guided Tour Only
Amos Bronson Alcott originally purchased two houses (both circa 1690-1720) set upon twelve acres of land on the Lexington Road in 1857 for $945.  He then moved the smaller tenant farmhouse and joined it to the rear of the larger manor house, making many improvements over the course of the next year to the home, as explained in his journals.  The grounds also contained an orchard of forty apple trees, which greatly appealed to Mr. Alcott, who considered apples the most perfect food.  It is not surprising, then, that he should name his home "Orchard House."

After moving twenty-two times in nearly thirty years, the Alcotts finally found their most permanent home at Orchard House, where they lived from until 1877.  The house is most noted for being where Louisa may Alcott wrote and set her beloved classic, Little Women, in 1868 at a "shelf desk" her father built especially for her.

Fortunately, there have been no major structural changes to the house since the Alcotts' time, with on-going preservation efforts adhering to the highest standards of authenticity.  Since approximately 80% of the furnishings on display were owned by the Alcotts, the rooms look very much as they did when the family lived here, causing many modern-day visitors to comment that, "A visit to Orchard House is like a walk through Little Women!"

A guided tour of Orchard House introduces visitors to the family members themselves, the household items that held meaning to them, their individual and collective achievements and lasting impact, as well as their influence on characters in the beloved novel, Little Women:

Amos Bronson Alcott (Mr. March) Educator, Transcendental philosopher, and social reformer
Abigail May Alcott ("Marmee") A strong, independent women and one of the first paid social workers in Boston
Ann Bronson Alcott Pratt ("Meg") A wife and mother who exhibited a flair for acting
Louisa May Alcott ("Jo") Well-known author, Civil War nurse, and advocate for social reforms
Elizabeth Sewall Alcott ("Beth") The "Angel in the House" who died prior to the Alcotts' move to Orchard House
(Abigail) May Alcott Nieriker ("Amy") A talented artist and early teacher of sculptor Daniel Chester French

    (Continue on Lexington. At the roundabout junction go left to the restaurants.)  
  Do: Lunch-Helen's Restaurant (Bistro), Comella's (Italian), Sally Ann Food Shop (sandwiches, soup, cupcakes)  
    (Go back to the roundabout/junction and turn left. Turn right on Hwy 62/Bedford St. Just on the left.)  
    Sleepy Hollow Cemetery-
Authors Ridge-less than a 15 minute walk northeast of Monment Square is a place of pilgrimage for many Americans. Young girls enthralled by Louisa May Alcott's Little Women come to visit her grave.Independent thinkers indebted to Ralph Waldo Emerson's life and work pay their respects at the rough marble boulder that is his tombstone. Naturalists and conservationists leave votive offerings at the headstone of Henry David Thoreau, America's first great ecologist.
    (Go back to the roundabout/junction and go right on Monument. Park on the right.)  
Old Manse (12-5 walk in tours) $10
Built in 1770 for patriot minister William Emerson, The Old Manse, a National Historic Landmark, became the center of Concord’s political, literary, and social revolutions over the course of the next century. In the mid-19th-century, leading Transcendentalists such as Bronson Alcott, Henry David Thoreau, and Margaret Fuller discussed the issues of the day here, with the Hawthorne and Ripley families.

A handsome Georgian clapboard building, The Old Manse sits near the banks of the Concord River among rolling fields edged by centuries-old stone walls and graced by an orchard. From upstairs, you can look out over the North Bridge, where the famous battle of April 19, 1775, took place. Ralph Waldo Emerson and Nathaniel Hawthorne both called the Manse home for a time – and each found inspiration here. Emerson would draft his famous essay “Nature” from an upstairs room, and Hawthorne would write a tribute to the homestead called Mosses from an Old Manse. Hawthorne and his wife, Sophia, started their married life here, and you can still see the poems they wrote to each other, etched on the Manse’s window panes. The heirloom vegetable garden, which has been recreated today, was originally planted by Henry David Thoreau in honor of the Hawthornes’ wedding. 
    (Walk left across the bridge to the visitor center.)  
North Bridge
Continue on to Concord's North Bridge, site of “the shot heard ‘round the world.” Here in this beautifully restored 19th century commemorative landscape, featuring the famous Minute Man statue by Daniel Chester French, is a perfect place to reflect upon the things experienced on the tour. Sit and listen to a 20 minute Ranger Program to enhance your visit to this hallowed ground.
North Bridge Visitor Center (9:30-5)
174 Liberty St.
Concord MA. 01742
Located in a brick mansion built in 1911 by descendents of the Buttrick family (Major John Buttrick was the colonial officer who first ordered his militia to fire upon British soldiers.), the North Bridge Visitor Center features a short video about the North Bridge fight, a bookstore and exhibits. North Bridge

Among the exhibits in the park is a brass cannon, dubbed "The Hancock" in celebration of its storied past. In 1775, this cannon, recently smuggled out of Boston, was one of four brass cannons hidden in Concord and its recovery was one of General Gage's chief motives when he sent British troops to Concord on April 19, 1775. It is one display courtesy of the Bunker Hill Monument Association.

  Depart: Concord  
1.5 hrs. Arrive: Springfield, MA 89


Day 17 Tuesday July 3rd  
8:00 a.m. Depart: Philadelphia  
10:30 a.m. Arrive: Washington DC 139
  See: Arlington Cemetery $13.50 (8am-7pm) (Cars are not allowewd)
Arlington National Cemetery welcomes visitors to explore the rich history found within the cemetery grounds. Arlington National Cemetery Tours, Inc., provides an interpretative tour bus service through Arlington with weekday stops at the Ord & Weitzel walking gate to see the U.S. Marine Corps War Memorial, President John F. Kennedy gravesite, U.S. Coast Guard Memorial, U.S. Army Gen. John J. Pershing's gravesite, the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, and the Arlington House (The Robert E. Lee Memorial). Weekend service also includes stops near Section 55 and 60 and the Sept. 11 Memorial. Tickets can be purchased at Arlington National Cemetery in the Welcome Center ticket booth and at shuttle stops. Tickets can also be purchased online at Changing of the guard every half hour.
The Capital
The White House
Lincoln Memorial
    Jefferson Memorial  
Washington Monument
Vietnam Memorial Wall


Day 18 Wednesday July 4th  
  Do: Fly Home  





Day 15 Sunday July 1st  
  Do: Fly Home  
9:00 a.m. Depart: Philadelphia  
11:00 a.m. Arrive: New York 97
  See: Brooklyn Greenwood Cemetery  
National September 11 Memorial
(7:30-9) Free
180 Greenwich St
Honoring the lives of those who were lost is at the heart of our mission. Occupying eight of the 16 acres at the World Trade Center, the Memorial is a tribute to the past and a place of hope for the future. The names of every person who died in the terrorist attacks of February 26, 1993 and September 11, 2001 are inscribed in bronze around the twin memorial pools.
Empire State Building
2nd Floor- Our new second floor Visitors’ Center is a spacious, fully air-conditioned venue designed for visitors to orient themselves, clear security, buy tickets (or print if you buy tickets online). Immediately after the ticket office, proceed to our Sustainability Exhibit, where visitors can learn about the building’s groundbreaking, energy-saving retrofit.
80th Floor- Chronicling the Planning and Construction of the World's Most Famous Building-Before your final elevator to the 86th floor. The story of the Empire State Building is the story of the American dream. Our Dare to Dream exhibit captures the building’s history, engineering and construction. Curated by and with content from the New York The Skyscraper Museum's archives, Dare To Dream pays tribute to the pioneering work of the architects, builders, and laborers of the day. Exploring Dare To Dream, you’ll find original documents including period photographs, architectural sketches, construction notes, and daily bookkeeping documents, as well as reproductions of photos and mementos from the more than 3,400 workers who helped create history.
86th Floor- Find yourself in the center of it all, above it all, when you visit the Empire State Building’s open-air 86th Floor Observation Deck. As the most famous observatory in the world, the 86th Floor has been the setting of dozens of movie and television scenes, as well as tens of millions of unforgettable personal moments. The Observation Deck wraps around the building’s spire, providing 360-degree views of New York and beyond. From up here you’ll get one-of-a-kind views of Central Park, The Hudson River and East River, The Brooklyn Bridge, Times Square, The Statue of Liberty, and much more. Our official Observatory Experience app teaches you about your view from every direction. Then take advantage of our high-powered binoculars to get a closer look.
102nd Floor-Sixteen floors above the 86th Floor Observatory, the Empire State Building’s Top Deck provides our most spectacular views of the city and beyond. Central Park comes into full view, the grid of streets reveals its brilliant design, and on a clear day you can see beyond the skyscrapers up to 80 miles away. An added bonus of visiting the Top Deck is taking a ride in our manually operated Otis elevator. Instead of counting floors, watch your altitude rise as you ascend. Don’t forget to quiz your operator and take lots of pictures.
Time Square
-fun to walk in the evening (and not so hot)


  See: Ferry (9:30-3:30 p.m.) $18.50
Access to Liberty and Ellis Islands is by Statue Cruises ferries only. Tickets are sold by type, date, and time at Can take over 90 minutes to wait for a ferry
Either New Jersey Ferry or Battery Park Ferry in New York
    Ellis Island (Free)
The 1st floor contains the Baggage Room, Journeys: The Peopling of America 1550-1890, Journeys: New Eras of Immigration 1945- Present, and the American Family Immigration History Center. In addition, audio guides, the information desk, gift shop, theater, bookstore, and the Ellis Island Café are available. Behind the museum, visitors have access to both the Wall of Honor and to Fort Gibson.
The 2nd floor has the Registry Room (Great Hall), the Hearing Room, Theater 2, and two exhibit galleries: Through America's Gate and Peak Immigration Years: 1880-1924.
The 3rd floor contains the Bob Hope Memorial Library, Dormitory Room, and the exhibits: Ellis Island Chronicles, Treasures From Home, Silent Voices, and Restoring a Landmark.

SPECIAL - Hard Hat Tours of the Hospital Complex $53.50 Guided 90-minute tours will take you to select areas of the 750-bed Ellis Island Hospital Complex. Visit the Laundry Building, with much of its original equipment still in place, where more than 3,000 pieces of laundry were washed and sanitized daily, infectious and contagious disease wards, kitchen, staff housing, autopsy room and more. As part of the tour opening, an art exhibit, "Unframed –Ellis Island," by renowned artist JR will be on display throughout the hospital complex. The exhibit features life size historic photographs of Ellis Island immigrants installed on 22 interior walls. JR is known throughout the world for his "Pervasive Art" exhibitions which are designed to raise questions.

Statue of Liberty
() Free
A walk from the ground floor to the Statue of Liberty's crown is equal to walking up a 20 story building! Crown access includes the original torch display, the Liberty Island Museum, and the pedestal observation level. Expect to see panoramic views at the pedestal observation level, limited views of Brooklyn from the crown level, and Alexandre Gustave Eiffel's framework that supports the Statue of Liberty. Anyone visiting the crown must be able to walk up at least 162 steps on a confined spiral staircase. Crown access is limited. Advanced reservations are required.
The Statue of Liberty's stone pedestal was designed by famed architect Richard Morris Hunt who designed it to complement the Statue of Liberty rather than overwhelm it. The structure was constructed and paid for by the American people. The pedestal is roughly half the height of the entire monument, offering panoramic views of Ellis Island, New York, New Jersey and the New York Harbor. All pedestal tickets include access to the Liberty Island Museum. Pedestal access is limited. Advanced reservations are highly recommended.
It took twenty-one years for the Statue of Liberty to progress from an idea in the mind of Edouard de Laboulaye to a colossal copper statue designed by the artist Frederic Bartholdi. The Liberty Island museum, located in the lobby of the pedestal, chronicles the difficulties and triumphs two countries overcame to build a symbol of freedom. The museum also covers how the Statue of Liberty's interpretation has changed since its dedication in 1886.

A pedestal or crown ticket is required to access the Liberty Island museum. Please visit the Fees & Passes page for more information on pedestal and crown tickets. Most of the information in the museum, including photos of some of the artifacts, is available on our History and Culture page.
    Broadway Play
• Theatre: Lyric
• First Preview: March 2018
• Opening: April 22, 2018
• Written by Jack Thorne, based on a story by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany
• Director: John Tiffany
• Cast: TBA
• Broadway transfer of the London phenomenon.
• Original stage play that continues the story of former boy wizard Harry Potter, his friends, and his son, in a time-traveling adventure to save the world from the evil Lord Voldemort.



Day 17 Tuesday July 3rd  
  Depart: New York  
  Do: Fly Home  
  Arrive: Spokane